Ski helmets protect your head from injuries, save you from the icy cold breeze and give you a defined fashion statement of your own. But what factors make up a great ski helmet? Is the appearance worth the investment?
In this article, we walk you through the best ski helmets available in the market to help you decide the best one for yourself, based on a number of specs and features.
- MIPS system available in select colors and Available in Asian fit
- AEROCORE Construction featuring Koroyd, AirEvac 2 Ventilation and Adjustable Boa FS360 Fit System
- Performance Lining, Snapfit SL2 Ear Pads, Low-Profile Dual Regulator Adjustable Climate Control, 21 Vents and Removable Ultra-Light Goggle Lock
- Outdoor Tech Audio Systems Available
When it comes to safety, Smith Optic definitely sets the bar high with its high performance helmets. The Vantage claims to have been especially designed for those who demand some action and thrill in life.
It consists of Air EVAC 2 ventilation system, which is its most important feature, that vents out all the warm air through the climate control system present in the helmet. This is responsible for releasing all the warm air through the vents and internal channels present in the helmet’s EPS liner. The helmet has its own climate control system to suit your specific needs, which can be regulated according to your requirements.
The helmet is constructed using In mold technology, which involves using a variety of lightweight shells fused together to create a product with the best traits of all materials used. The result of this Hybrid Shell Construction is a lightweight, low profile helmet that fits you perfectly. The smooth top surface is also a result of the Hybrid Shell Construction.
Since protection is the prime concern of ski helmet consumers, that concern is catered through the MIPS technology. By creating a sliding layer between your head and the outer shell, in case of an accident, it considerably reduces the chances of damage to the skull.
For improved airflow and temperature regulation, EPS and Koroyd are used, which absorb more energy, use more vents to remove heat without compromising on quality and protection, making it more breathable at the same time.
- SIZE L (59-62.5cm)* CONSTRUCTION - MIPS - Multi-Directional Impact Protection System. In-Mold Construction fuses a tough polycarbonate outer shell with the helmet's impact-absorbing foam liner. The fusion process allows for better ventilation systems, making In-Mold helmets lighter and cooler than traditional helmets.
- FIT SYSTEM - In Form Fit System makes it easy to dial in a custom fit in seconds - even with gloves on. An ergo-friendly dial at the base of the helmet provides up to 6cm of adjustment and enhanced stability. Vertical Tuning feature accommodates different goggles and head shapes for a custom fit free of gaper gap (space between goggles and helmet).
- VENTILATION - Thermostat Control adjustable venting allows you to custom tune airflow instantly with a simple, low profile control button on the outside of the helmet. No other system is faster or easier to adjust, and nothing is more effective at keeping you comfortable. Stack Vent in the front of the helmet which aligns with your goggles and helps to keep them clear and fog free.
- SEAMLESS COMPATIBILITY WITH ALL GIRO GOGGLES - Giro products have been meticulously designed and tested to work together. We've fine-tuned the pairings of our helmets and goggles using exhaustive testing in our Dome R&D center and translating those findings into the perfect Seamless Compatibility fit. We recommend Giro Axis Goggles.
- FEATURES - MIPS. XT2 anti-odor padding. Compatible with aftermarket Giro audio systems by Outdoor Tech. Compliance: CE EN1077.
This Giro Union Ski helmet is your perfect partner for mountain resort skiing and exploration. Loaded with multiple features, this one is definitely a personal favorite with a wide variety of colours to choose from.
The helmet’s in mold construction fuses the outer tough shell with the inner foam liner in a way that it provides maximum comfort and ventilation. The polycarbonate shell used is extremely lightweight yet tough enough to protect your skull from serious damage.
The adjustable vents can be closed and opened for temperature regulation and ventilation. This gives you complete control of how cool or hot you want your ski helmet to be.
The helmet is totally compatible with all Giro audio systems and goggles for the perfect vision and sound as you ski your way through the mountains. The silver used in its padding fiber keeps it odor free and fresh smelling even after multiple uses. It doesn’t wear off with use so its durability isn’t a concern.
Once the Stack Vent is aligned in the helmet, it keeps your vision from being blurred and fogged out by the warm air you exhale. The MIPS technology used provides extra protection to your brain against certain impacts that may occur as a result of an accident.
- Dual Active Matrix Venting
- 360 K2Dialed Fit System
- Baseline Audio System
If you’re looking for a slightly lower end option, then K2 ski helmets would work just fine for you. The helmet is lightweight and durable so that you don’t feel too burdened while wearing it.
Safety comes before anything else and so is the case for these helmets. The rear of the helmet is designed to provide more coverage to the back of your head, an area that is more prone to damage by accidents.
The Active Matrix Venting system allows for maximum airflow and customized temperature regulation, since your body temperature keeps changing once you’re out there skiing. Keeping your convenience in mind, K2 designs customizable temperature control systems for enhanced control with vents present on the top and front.
For the perfect fittings, it comes with a dial adjuster ,the 360 K2 dialed fit system. However, users do complain of wrong sizing and helmets being smaller than standard sizes when it comes to fittings. Therefore its advisable that you measure and check with sizing charts before you order.
The Baseline Audio System completes the ski helmet set, giving you the chance to play your favorite tunes and make the most of your experience. There have been, however, some issues with the sound system’s bass, which allows you to hear sounds from your surroundings, that isn’t too desirable for many people. However, the low price definitely gives you much more of a reason to click the buy option.
- Removable ear pads and liner make it easy to comfortably wear a beanie or goggle straps underneath the helmet while maintaining a low-profile look
- Skate-inspired design for year-round on and off-snow use
- Audio accessory compatible ear pads fit most aftermarket audio systems
This ski helmet from Anon is another great low budget option that you can consider. Weighing roughly around 600 gms, it is very lightweight so you don’t feel a thing once you wear it.
Simply put, ski helmets are supposed to fit well and protect your head from any damage. This helmet is well equipped to do so with its Endura-Shell Injected ABS Construction. Its ear pads and interior is lined with foam for maximum comfort. Yet, it doesn’t make you too hot to sweat, thanks to the passive ventilation present in it.
The foaming inside protects your skull from getting any injuries in case of an accident. Several users have found the helmet lifesaving during ski accidents, which serves the sole purpose of ski helmets
The Strap Stash system helps it to fit easily. It is also a 100% compatible with SkullCandy audio systems and the padded layer doesn’t interfere with the sound quality. In a nutshell, this is a great helmet for a great price.
- AirEvac Ventilation and Self-Adjusting Lifestyle Fit System
- Airflow Climate Control and 14 Vents
- All-Season Use, Bombshell Ear Pads, Removable Goggle Lock and All-Season Use
- Outdoor Tech Audio Systems Available
Quality meets low price in this Smith Optics ski helmet. Its a multipurpose helmet that is not designed keeping a specific season in mind. So whether you’re planning on using it as a skating helmet during the summers or a ski helmet, you’re covered.
Temperature is regulated with the Dual Regulator Ventilation System and 14 vents, where warm air is vented out through the rear ends while the front vents prevent cold air from striking your head and giving you ice-cream headaches. The helmet uses AirEvac technology to keep your goggles fog free, giving you absolutely clear vision, regardless of the temperature outside.
For maximum protection, the impact resistant Bombshell Construction employed in its manufacture saves the helmet from dents and your skull from bearing any injuries.
You can always integrate SkullCandy’s audio system which is fully compatible with this helmet, if you want to enjoy your favorite music while you’re skiing. Although it doesn’t have a sizing dial, the helmet is totally adjustable with three adjustment levels to choose from. Final verdict-this helmet has great value for money to offer with its extensive list of features without falling out of your budget.
- Low-profile regulator adjustable climate control
- 18 vents
- AirEvac 2 ventilation
- Removable ultra-light goggle lock
Its always a good idea to stick with Smith Optics. Although this model lies midway on the price continuum, it has a great deal of features to offer. Like its predecessors, it has a Hybrid Shell Construction to provide the perfect combination of less weight and higher protection.
Key concerns first-the crash padding inside the helmet is pretty satisfactory and adequately filled. The helmet is designed in a way that it minimizes impacts to the limit without incurring damage to the head.
The elastic band in the back helps keep goggles in place while the ski helmet itself has an adjustable strap to fit you perfectly. By pairing it up with SkullCandy audio systems, you can enjoy an experience of a lifetime.
Maintenance is easy as the surface is easily cleanable. The inner padding is also removable and can be washed after multiple uses in case you sweat. Its temperature regulation system, however, controls sweats and high temperatures through its venting system. This is, however, a downgrade considering it doesn’t have the Aerocore ventilation system.
We would rate it better than the Adult Holt but definitely a notch lower than the Vantage which is equipped with MIPS technology and Aerocore construction for a minimal price increase.
- Low-profile regulator adjustable climate control
- 18 vents
- AirEvac 2 ventilation
- Removable ultra-light goggle lock
Although Oakley has recently jumped onto the ski helmet bandwagon, their helmets are in no way inferior to other household names. Designed to fit your head precisely and give it optimum protection, these helmets definitely win you over with their design and performance.
With its hybrid construction (ABS and in mold), you’re safe from damaging your skull as its hard shell is designed to provide protection against high intensity impacts that put your safety at risk. Its light weight doesn’t weigh you down like cheaper alternatives and keeps your head light and in the game. For enhanced protection, you can also get this model with MIPS technology for an additional price.
It is hard to find the perfect fit for your goggles in every ski helmet, but this one comes with a Modular Brim System (MBS) that fits your goggles perfectly within the helmet. Depending upon your face cut and goggle frames, you can select the most suitable helmet. Now thats an innovative feature you wish to see in your helmet.
The brim is also responsible for continuous airflow and proper ventilation which remains unobstructed in its well designed system. The ventilation is totally adjustable and also prevents your goggles from producing fog, giving you better vision.
Oakley Mod 5 puts your convenience before everything which is why it is equipped with the BOA system. The BOA fit system fits your head size like a made to order helmet and comes with a removable liner and removable ear pads. You can wear the ear-pads over or under the straps, depending on your comfort level. Similarly to reduce effort and time in tightening your helmet, its Fidlock buckle comes in handy, that too with gloves on.
We believe this helmet definitely challenges Smith Optics market with its wide variety of features and a competitive price. A lower budget option is definitely worth a try.
- PROTECTION: Featuring Ventilated Double Shell Anti-Penetration system (VDSAP) made up of two ventilated shells that are placed offset for maximum protection against penetration from sharp objects, while maintaining good airflow and ventilation.
- LINER Has an in-mold EPS (Expanded Polystyrene) liner, where the strength lies in its versatility and protection against single impact accidents.
- DURABILITY: Made from a robust ABS (Acrylonitrile Butadiene Styrene) shell that ensures helmet strength and integrity.
- FEATURES: Detachable goggle clip, ear pads, and neckroll.
- COLOR OPTIONS: Comes in 6 colors with matte finish, features 6 different sizes, and weighs 500 grams.
The highlight of this ski helmet is definitely its impact resistance which is made possible with the Ventilated Double Shell Anti- Penetration System (VDSAP). The helmet is basically constructed using two overlapping shells, which prevent penetration of sharp objects in the helmet’s lining. This, in combination with the EPS lining definitely sets the bar high for other competitors when it comes to protecting the skull.
The ear pads and neck roll present inside are detachable, however, there have been issues with its adjustment. It lacks a fit adjuster which appears to be the root cause of the problem. The inner EPS velcro liners, however, can be removed to fit your head right.
While it doesn’t come with Beats speakers, the Communication neck roll present is compatible with them, so you can play your playlist on the tracks. The 8 vents can be opened or closed when required, making the ventilation system pretty convenient.
Setting aside its adjustment ease, the Receptor bug offers more protection and convenience than its alternatives and is definitely an option worth considering, given it isn’t too high end an option.
- ADJUSTMENT: The Fornix is generously ventilated and the size adjustment system makes it possible to customize the fit of the helmet to make sure it stays safe and in place.
- LINER: Has an in-mold EPS (Expanded Polystyrene) liner, where the strength lies in its versatility and protection against single impact accidents.
- PROTECTON: Aramid bridge reinforcements for structural stability and dispersion of impact energy.
- VENTILATION: Integrated venting allows air from your goggles to move freely eliminating potential fog.
- COLOR / SIZE: The Fornix comes in 11 different colors and 3 sizes (XS-S, M-L, and XL-XXL).
The POC Fornix is one of the lightest helmets you can find with Aramid Bridge Reinforcements for better protection and resistance against impacts. The EPS liner present reduces the impacts considerably so you’ve got safety and weight covered.
The helmet fits well and although it doesn’t have removable ear-pads for adjustment issues, it is equipped with an adjustment dial for a better fit. Some users however do find sizing issues with adjustment, so its always advisable to try it on before making the purchase.
The helmet doesn’t feel too warm and allows uninterrupted airflow with its two top vents. To our surprise, however, it has two open holes on the rear, just above the neck area, which might be troublesome, since you’ll be moving at high speed in snow covered areas. Wearing it with a beanie can help, but you will need a larger size for that.
It is perfectly compatible with Smith and POC goggles, leaving no gaps behind. All of these features justify the price range and make it an option with considering, provided you’re satisfied with the fitness.